jump to navigation

How to file for an extension – Tax Tip of the Week April 14, 2010

Posted by bradstreetblogger in : Tax Tip , trackback

April 15 tax deadlineIf you haven’t filed your tax return by now, you should probably consider filing for an extension.  It is a lot easier to file for an extension than it is to amend a return later for a mistake you made trying to rush your return to completion.  Even more costly are underpayment penalties and interest if the IRS finds a mistake.

To file for an extension, you simply need to submit Form 4868. After submitting this form, you have until October 15, 2010 to file your return.  Note however, that an extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay.  If you suspect you will owe some taxes, you must send a payment along with the extension.  This is true for your federal, state and city returns.

Ohio will automatically accept the federal extension.  Some cities, however, require a special city extension form.  Also, some cities will not allow extensions if you only have W2 income.  Be sure to check with your work and/or resident cities before April 15th.

Another reason to file for extension is that some speculate your chances for an audit decreases for extended returns.  How?  One of the methods the IRS uses to select a return for audit is to select a random sample of returns filed by April 15th.   If your return is not in that sample—then you don’t get picked!

Editor’s Note:  One of the pledges I make to all of my clients is that my personal return will be the last one filed each year. When my most procrastinating client’s return is filed on October 15th, mine is right behind it!  And has been that way for nearly 20 years!

Need help with last minute tax issues? Just give us a call. In Dayton, call 937-436-3133 and in Xenia, call 937-372-3504. Or visit http://www.bradstreetcpas.com.

Rick Prewitt – the guy behind TTW

…until next week.


no comments yet - be the first?