jump to navigation

Make sure your name matches – Tax Tip of the Week March 3, 2010

Posted by bradstreetblogger in : Tax Tip , trackback

If you were recently married or divorced, you’ll want to ensure the name on your tax return matches the name registered with the Social Security Administration (SSA). Here’s what you need to know:

  1. If you took your spouse’s last name or if both spouses hyphenate your names, you may run into complications if you don’t notify the SSA.  When newlyweds file a tax return using their new last name, IRS computers can’t match your Social Security Number.
  2. If you were recently divorced and changed back to your previous last name, you’ll also need to notify the SSA of this name change.
  3. To notify the SSA of a name change you’ll need to file Form SS-5. You can also file this form by visiting your SSA office.
  4. If you adopted your spouse’s children after getting married, you’ll want to make sure the children have an SSN.  For adopted children without SSNs, you can apply for an Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number (ATIN).  Form W-7A should be filed with the IRS.
  5. It takes the SSA about two weeks to have the change verifiedso be sure to do this prior to filing your tax return.

Avoid delays and confusion and make sure the government knows who you are!

As always, give us a call if you have any questions. In Dayton, call 937-436-3133 and in Xenia, call 937-372-3504. Or visit http://www.bradstreetcpas.com.

Rick Prewitt – the guy behind TTW

…until next week.


no comments yet - be the first?